Monday, 3 January 2011

Back to Normality

Well tomorrow is the 4th of January 2011. This probably means back to "normality" for most people. This evening I was sorting out a few things so that I can get back into a routine from tomorrow.

I came across a Prayer which I would like to share.

Jeremiah 18:1-3 (New International Version, ©2010)

At the Potter’s House
 1 This is the word that came to Jeremiah from the LORD: 2 “Go down to the potter’s house, and there I will give you my message.” 3 So I went down to the potter’s house, and I saw him working at the wheel. 


I like to think of that potter, Lord, totally absorbed,
lovingly shaping his creations, 
until they are just right for his purpose.
Did he know what use he was to you?
Bless all the potters of this world - in the right place, 
just getting on with things, 
being fruitful in instinctive ways. 


Transforming God.
You break into our work. 
You startle shepherds minding their own business by night. 
You net fishermen and tax collectors upsetting the balance. 
You say, 
"Come out of the kitchen for a while Martha,
let me feed you."
You set the jailor free as, finding faith, he cries
"What must I do to be saved?"


Break into my work Lord. 
Startle me. Upset the balance in your favour. 
Take me out of my comfort zone. 
Free me to be and not just to do. 
Ready me to go where you call me. 


Whatever workplace I am in, 
help me to be faithful:
in the way I relate to others, 
in the values that my words and actions portray,  
in my care of the environment. 
I do not want to lead a double life.
It's easier to be faithful among the faithful. 


For in my work, Lord, paid and unpaid, 
I am the unfinished product of your work. 
And if others cannot see your hand in me, 
I pray, Painstaking Potter, 
help me to shape up. 
Let me serve your purpose. 


and a Blessing

Bless the places we work O Lord.
Bless the kitchen, the office, the factory, 
the school, the church,  the supermarket ...
Bless the industrial estates, the shopping centres, 
the local communities ...
Bless the whole world, 
and Lord, in some small way, 
may I be a blessing to it.


Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment